What is accidental damage home insurance?


Covers the costs to repair or replace an item that has been damaged or destroyed by an accident in your home.

Choose the following add-ons:

  • Buildings accidental damage
  • Contents accidental damage


What does accidental damage insurance cover?

Accidental damage cover gives you peace of mind for those accidents that happen around the home, such as:

  • Spills on carpets, soft furnishings and furniture
  • Damage caused by children knocking over items
  • Pets causing damage by chewing, tearing and scratching your furniture and soft furnishings.

Buildings accidental damage cover

This option covers you for accidental damage to the structure of your home, including pipework, kitchens and bathroom fittings.

Examples include:

  • Breakage of drains and pipes and accidental damage to cables and underground tanks providing services to or from your home
  • Breakage of glass, ceramic hobs or tops or bathroom fittings fixed to and forming part of your home
  • Putting your foot through a ceiling or damaging a worktop.

​​​​​​​Contents accidental damage cover

Includes belongings in your home that may need to be repaired or replaced if accidentally damaged.

These include:

  • Breakage of mirrors, ceramic hobs or any glass in furniture such as glass tables or cabinets
  • Damage to television, satellite, video, audio and computer equipment
  • Damage to all other contents, such as knocking over a vase.

Will I be covered for damage caused by children?

Children will be children and accidents happen, so it’s useful to have cover against damage in your home and help pay for repairs and replacements you might have to make.

Will I be covered for damage caused by pets?

Great news, we cover for damage caused by pets or animals. We know pets are family and even they have accidents too.

Accidental damage for TVs, phones and laptops

We’ll cover the cost to repair or replace your gadgets if accidentally damaged in your home.

If you would like to be covered outside of your home, our personal possessions add-on option may be suitable for you.

What’s not included

  • Breakage or damage while your home has been left unoccupied or unfurnished for more than 60 days in a row
  • Clothing, contact lenses and deterioration of food
  • Wear and tear, this is normal aging of your belongings, such as frayed cushions or fading of curtain fabric from the sun 
  • Claims under £250 will not be covered
  • Damage caused on purpose
  • A claim that requires urgent attention, considered to be a home emergency, such as loss of heating.

See our home insurance policy wording for full exclusions.

Should I get accidental damage cover?

Accidental damage cover gives reassurance if an accident happens in your home and we’ll help towards the repair and replacement of the item.

You’ll have to pay a £250 compulsory excess for a claim.

Frequently asked questions

Still got a question, here's a list of our customers' most asked questions.

Are there any exclusions with accidental damage?

Yes, there are. For any breakages or damage, while your home is left unoccupied or unfurnished for more than 60 days in a row, you won’t be covered. Clothing, contact lenses and deterioration of food are not covered too, along with normal aging or wear of your belongings (for example fading curtains caused by the sun) or intentional damage. 

See our home insurance policy wording for full exclusions.


What cover do I need if I rent?

Before you take out any cover, check with your landlord or letting agent to understand what cover is included in your agreement.

Generally for rented properties; you’ll only have to take out contents only cover. You can take the option to buy accidental damage for your contents.


Will I get brand new items?

You will get new replacement items of the same or similar make and model of the item you are claiming for. 

New-for-old home contents insurance replaces an item that's been stolen or damaged and cannot be repaired, will be replaced with a new object of the same replacement value. For example, if your television is stolen we'll replace it with an equivalent new one, even if it's several years old. Terms and conditions apply, see our home insurance policy wording for full exclusions.


Read more FAQs